Importance of Data Structure in Computer Science field cannot be underestimated. They have the power to bring up success or failure in the program.
If they are not used in the right manner then it may create a big problem for the programmers. Therefore, this paper is written for the purpose of describing the importance of data structures in the Computer science field.
The Importance of Data Structures in Different Areas of Computer Science – A Review. This paper briefly reviews the major roles of data structures in computer science and in the other fields of interest. Data structures are implemented via several algorithms. These algorithms determine the organization of data structures, access to memory addresses, and the utilization of space.
All the data structures have a number of pointers that are used to access the data that is stored. There are two levels of pointers i.e. virtual and physical.
Virtual pointers are only used inside the program while physical pointers are used externally to access memory addresses or to store a value into the structure.
Types of Data Structures
- Stack When using a computer the case that any expression has required to calculate, then it will be calculated using stack. For example , an expression such as a+b-c/e , (a+b)/e-f%g or (a+b)/e-f%g, etc.
2. Queue implementation is another important aspect of the data structure. Computers today operate in a multiuser the multi-programming environment. In this type of environment, the system(computer) is able to handle multiple jobs simultaneously, and to manage these tasks, the notion of a queue is employed.
3. Link List Computer science many times, we are faced with an issue, where we are required to add or remove items from any location at which point the idea of a link list is utilized.
4. Tree -The Tree stores information in a hierarchical way. In Windows, all directories are stored according to the idea of trees.
Types of Data Structure for trees
- Binary Tree
- Diagonal Tree.
In the binary tree data structures, a node is accessed by a key or value and at the same time, a subtree is accessed by a left or right child. A binary tree has two levels of child nodes. A normal hierarchical structure has three levels of children; however, two levels of child nodes are more common. Diagonal structure on the other hand has one level of parent nodes can be child or parent.
Binary Search Trees and their relationship with the parent node. A binary search tree is a data structure where each node is either a leaf or target. At the root of each target, the node is the binary search tree root. When a programmer needs to go back to a previous node or to a leaf, the programmer moves ahead by traversing the binary search trees.
Types of Data Structures for arrays –
In a range or list of data structures, an array of items is stored. The items in the array are arranged in a logical order. There are two types of lists, a normal range list, and an irregularly ordered list.
Data Structures for hash tables and associated data structures –
The data in a hash table consists of key values, which are strings that identify each item. A hash function maps keys to values. A data structure for hash tables stores strings that identify each key as well as the type of key.
Application and Problem-solving algorithms. This includes sorting, grouping, ranking, and printing data structures. The advantage of using algorithms is that they solve problems that cannot be solved using data structures such as lists, sorted sets, and lists with key values.
Data structures and algorithms have real-life applications.
Computers can take an algorithm and change it to fit a different situation. An example of an algorithm is the sorting of numbers in random order. A data structure for this would be a list. In real-life situations, we use these data structures and algorithms daily.
A programmer writes an algorithm and uses it to create data structures and then uses those data structures and algorithms to solve problems. Often programmers use the stack and heap. These data structures are called dynamic memory or dynamic allocation and manage memory access at runtime. A programmer can write multiple programs and share the same memory.
However, real-life does not always lend itself to the use of the stack and heap. Threads, another important component of the programming language, make programming much faster.
The relationship of a Linked List and its importance in Data Structures.
In Data Structures, the Linked List is very similar to the traditional linked list except that it contains one extra element called the target link. If two lists are created using the same Linked List their target links will be the same. Linked Lists are very useful when it comes to searching large files. They are also used extensively in search engines. Linked lists were named after the paper written by Douglas C. Zipes and Robert J. Seiler, “High Performance Linked Lists: Theory and Practice,” Journal of Computer Science, vol. 25, pp. 4-6, October 1986.
Array Data Structures and their importance in Data Structures. Arrays are very helpful when dealing with large amounts of data, but don’t have to be the primary data structures for the application. The primary data structures for applications and data structures for small collections are more cost-effective and efficient. Small arrays are helpful for many small tasks. Multi-array data structures are very efficient for large collections.
In the field of computer science, the importance of structures in data is evident everywhere. The data structure is the foundational element to solve issues. Its significance can be defined by these terms:
- Software is composed of two parts: front and back. The front end offers an interface while the back end is known as the database, which is a record of customers. It could be millions or trillions of customers. If we need to discover the information of a specific or a number of people, it can be performed using a search method that is an operation using the data structure.
- If an application is being run in the beginning, it is stored in memory in the computer. Computer memory jobs are placed into queues. Also, the queue is an idea in data structures.
- We know that when processes and jobs are added the queues begin to form. The queues may contain more than one job or process. In queues jobs, processes are completed in the same order they are entered. If a job is created it is put at the end of the queue. If we are required to create or remove a job, in any order, the idea of the queue will be discarded as well as the notion of a link list will be applied.
- If any information needs to be required to be stored in a hierarchical way it is suggested that the notion of a tree is applied.
- If the data needs to be arranged numerically or alphabetically the process is carried out using a sorting technique,, which operates that works on the structure of the data.
What is the Internet Of Things(IoT)