Emotions play an important part in our lives, both professional and personal. Here are 10 Ways to Increase Your Emotional Intelligence. How to manage emotions like a professional!
Emotional intelligence is the capacity to be aware of your emotions and be aware of people’s feelings in all kinds of situations. It allows you to decrease conflicts and stress, as well as increase the efficiency of your team.
If you’re hoping to move ahead in your career, this is the ability that you should learn to master. Let’s take a look at the top ten strategies you can increase the level of your mental intelligence.
1. Use Assertive Communication Style
A style of assertive communication involves communicating with people in a way you respect their opinions but not allowing them to take away your rights, requirements, or personal limits.
It lets you speak up on behalf of yourself, without causing conflict or tension between your teammates.
Tips to help you be an Effective Communicator
- Know your worth and the value you bring to the company.
- Make sure you keep your eyes on the screen when talking. This shows that you’re confident and confident and aren’t afraid of the criticism of others.
- Maintain your posture with strength, but be a little casual. Be careful not to be rigid or slouching.
- Speak in a confident voice, but don’t make it a point to raise your voice.
- Maintain a neutral facial expression and communicate your message in a clear manner.
2. Respond instead of reacting
If you make a choice without thinking about the consequences then you’re reacting. However, when you take a moment to think for a moment, conduct note of the situation, and take action with a clear mind, you’re acting.
A moment of conflict could lead to larger problems in your professional life. Consider the solution whenever you’re in an instance and then make a deliberate decision.
Tips for Being Responsive instead of Reactive
- It’s a skill that develops through practice, so you can train yourself to be receptive to little issues often.
- Always think about your ultimate goal before you make any decision.
- Be aware of your thoughts and the things that are happening around you.
- Make sure you balance your emotions and facts.
- Beware of taking immediate action.
- Think about the implications within your mind.
3. Improve Your Active Listening Skills
The third ability that can enhance the emotional well-being of your children is to listen actively.
It’s about taking the time to learn what other people are trying to communicate, without having to interpret everything you think is your own. Intelligent people are emotionally aware and ensure there are no miscommunications caused by a lack of understanding.
Tips to Listen Actively
- Pay attention to facial expressions and body language of the person who is speaking to ensure greater clarity.
- Maintain proper eye contact.
- Do not forget to nod or smile when you’re showing that you’re truly listening.
- Repetition what you’ve learned when you’re finished. This helps to avoid any miscommunication and is a sign of respect to the person with whom you’re talking.
4. Keep Invigorated
One of the most desirable characteristics of people with strong emotional intelligence is their ability to stay inspired and inspire others by their positive outlook.
But, the source of their motivation isn’t fame or money. They are driven by achieving their desires and needs.
Apps to Keep You Engaged
1. The Positive Affirmation: ThinkUp
The app can help you keep a positive attitude to meet your daily needs and provide motivation. It can be used for self-talk and to reduce negative thoughts.
Download ConsiderUp on Google Android | iOS (Free)
2. Fabulous Self Care
This app focuses on forming healthy habits. It gives you an extensive collection of quotes that will help you stay focused. Additionally, it offers an integrated health program to help you meditate.
Download Amazing Self Care to Google’s Android (Free)
5. Practice Positive Attitude
Maintaining a positive outlook is not just about you and staying in tune with the moods of others as well.
When you’re aware of an individual’s behavior and mood it is possible to stop their influence on your thoughts and maintain a professional attitude.
Tools to help you practice Positive Thinking
1. Live Happily:
The app assists you in focusing on being thankful. It helps bring more positivity to you by focusing focused on optimism. The activities that are listed within the program are supported by studies.
Download: Live Happy for Android (Free)
The website offers a variety of games and activities that change your thinking patterns. It can help you become more optimistic and more content.
6. Learn to be aware of your self
Self-awareness means knowing how you feel, your patterns of behaviors, and knowing how you feel and think.
The people who are emotionally intelligent are able to see these aspects clearly. They are aware of their psychological state and know how their emotions impact the people around them.
Tips to Increase Self-Awareness
- Know your values, identify your priorities, and determine what makes you happy and your objectives are.
- Find out what you don’t like about other people. There’s a good chance that you’ve got this personality trait within yourself and it is a source of irritation to observe it. Once you’ve found the trait alter it.
- Do some mindfulness meditation. It allows you to monitor your thinking patterns.
7. Learn to handle criticism well
It isn’t easy for people to handle criticism without getting offensive or defensive. However, emotionally intelligent people have a tendency to do this every day. The secret to their success is simple: rather than reacting to the circumstances and reacting, they react.
They spend a few minutes comprehending where the issue is coming at them and the way it might impact their performance in the future. They view it with an eye toward the future and look for ways to deal with the issue with a positive approach.
Tips for Taking Criticism Carefully
- Be careful not to answer immediately. Take a moment to think about it and give your brain couple of minutes to take in the information.
- Remember that feedback can help you enhance your performance.
- Learn to listen actively here and don’t interpret anything yourself.
- Ask the person you’re talking to if they’re unclear. For instance, the last week’s report was not so great. Find out what caused the issue in that report for more clarity.
- Thank them.
8. Practice Empathy
Empathy means that you can recognize the feelings of others and view things from their perspective. People who are emotionally intelligent have empathy, and they realize that showing empathy to people is a sign of confidence, not weakness.
If you are able to empathize it is easier to manage people with differing opinions, while still maintaining respect.
Tips for Developing Empathy
- Be aware of the similarities you share with other people through talking with them and learning the details of their life.
- Donate frequently.
- Examine your biases and observe them.
- Meet people with whom you do not connect with.
- Make sure to apologize and forgive often.
9. Develop and practice leadership skills
Skills for leadership aren’t only for those who are leaders. They are for everyone who is willing to take initiative and make smart decisions and be able to solve problems.
The most emotionally intelligent people are able to practice these qualities, which means they are able to apply them whenever they are needed.
Tips to Practice Leadership Skills
- Find out your dominant emotions in all situations precisely.
- You are accountable for the way you treat people.
- Do not take any feedback in a negative way.
- Examine your attitude towards your work, the environment and colleagues.
- Be social.
- Avoid complaining.
10. Develop Your Social Skills
Another advantage of people who are emotionally intelligent is that they are approachable. They approach you with smiles and engage with you with ease. It’s a common experience for certain people. But, some might find it difficult to accomplish.
If you’re part of the second category of people, then you’ll be pleased to be aware that this skill can learn by putting in the time and practice.
Tips to Enhance Social Skills
- Engage in conversation with others.
- Meet more people.
- Engage in new conversations even if it’s difficult to engage in. After a few conversations eventually, it will become natural to you.
- Pose for questions that are open to the public in order to keep conversation moving.
- Keep up-to-date with your industry or the latest developments so that you’re always ready to add to the discussion.
Develop Your Emotional Intelligence in order to succeed
Making the transition to emotional intelligence is challenging. It’s an amazing quality that will allow you to reach greater heights and be more successful even with what you possess.
For the best results, consider working slowly and practicing one thing at once.
Read More: The Eiffel Tower and Macau – A Perfect Combo
[…] 10 Ways to Increase Your Emotional Intelligence […]